SSO January 2020 - "A Little Night Music"
This concert was performed by the Springfield Symphony Orchestra in Springfield, MO on Saturday, January 18, 2020. The performance took place at 7:30 p.m. at Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts. This recording is courtesy of Mediacom.
Mozart's music has been used to sell cars, Nikes, pancakes, instant coffee iPods, cable service - even dog food. It has appeared in such wide-ranging films as Batman, Alien, The Shawshank Redemption, Elvira Madigan, The Bonfire of Vanities, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, and There's Something About Mary, among countless others. Mozart has proved his enduring power not only in the concert hall but in how many times his music has been used in pop culture. This concert will feature Mozart's pieces that have taken on a new life in American popular culture and are familiar to everyone, even those who have never set foot in a concert hall. The guest artists included in this recorded performance are pianist Marika Bournaki, and sopranos Jennifer Forni and Rebecca Claborn.
Program Notes for this performance can be viewed here.
- W. A. Mozart - Overture to The Abduction from the Seraglio, K.384 (1782) (1756-1791)
- W. A. Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 21 in C Major, K.467 (1785)
I. Allegro maestoso
III. Allegro vivace assai
With Marika Bournaki, Piano
- W. A. Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (A Little Night Music)
Serenade No. 13 for strings in G major, K. 525 (1787)
II. Romanze: Andante
III. Menuetto: Allegretto
IV. Rondo: Allegro
- W.A. Mozart - The Marriage of Figaro, K. 492 (1786)
- W.A. Mozart - The Marriage of Figaro - “Dove sono i bei momenti”
With Jennifer Forni, Soprano
- W.A. Mozart - Symphony No. 29 in A Major, K. 201 (1774)
I. Allegro moderato
IV. Allegro con spirito